Sunday, January 30, 2011

Beard About Town Exclusive!

Despite the rainy weather forecast the members of SSRIs convinced us to shoot outside. Not just outside mind you but deep in the woods. We scouted out an undisclosed location near Vancouver and started the laborious task of trekking in all the gear. Once the band and recording gear were set up the clouds parted and the forest got rocked. The performance was well worth a few mosquito bites and risk of soaking all our gear. Had too much fun with these guys. Thanks SSRIs. Note: my apologies to Georges Couling of Knuckleduster Music Inc. (not knockleduster, sorry bud).



There is another local band bursting onto the scene right now that I want to give some Big Ups to and that is Portage and Main. Portage and Main are long time friends John Sponarski and Harold Donnelly. Sponarski has said that they wanted their songs to fit "like his favourite pair of Levi's jeans" and let me tell you these are very cozy songs. I must confess, I have never tried on his jeans but... I was fortunate enough to catch up with Sponarski in a short online interview where I asked "How did two Vancouverites end up calling themselves Portage and Main?"

 He had this to say: "The name is basically.. We thought it was funny that us two city kids were writing a pretty country-ish record... So we wanted a name that juxtaposed something urban and rural.. In conversation we accidentally discover that we both have roots in portage la prairie manitoba.. As soon as we figured this out I was immediately reminded of when I was a kid and I was in Winnipeg for the first time walking around with my aunts and my nana and we came to the corner of portage and main. We stood there for a second and they told me the tale of portage and main and how it was thought to be the coldest street corner in Canada. I said we should name the band portage and main! we have portage (portage la prairie = rural) and main (a street you would find in any major urban area). So that was kinda that....

Ummm yeah I dunno what else you'd wanna say, the release is Friday march 18th at the anza with the sumner brothers...

Also we would totally love to do a tasty ears vid! I've been keeping up with what you guys are doing and it's great! 


Keep it locked here for more on the upcoming Tasty ears On Location with Portage and Main. In the meantime check out their website  here and have a listen to the track Rocky Mountain Wanderer in the player 

MusicPlaylistRingtones
Music Playlist at MixPod.com


Where to Beard About Town upcoming shows (check past blogs for more shows):

Smith Westerns Feb 16 at Biltmore
Godspeed You Black Emporer Feb 16 at Vogue
Wild Nothing Feb 28 at Biltmore
Born Ruffians March 12 at Rickshaw
Warpaint w/  PVT March 19 at Biltmore
Dodos March 31 at Rickshaw
Pixies performing Doolittle May 3 at The Orpheum

1 comment:

  1. Another good post bud. That SSRIs video looks great! I really like that Portage and Main song too.

    ReplyDelete