Thursday, June 2, 2011

Sasquatch Festival 2011: After the Dust has Settled

The Gorge Main Stage Early on Day 2
I recently returned from a six day trip to The Gorge in Washington State for the four day Sasquatch Festival 2011 and I am thoroughly rinsed. This is the fourth time in five years that I have attended the festival and every year it gets bigger. As much as I'd rather have smaller crowds as a spectator I can hardly blame the organizers for trying to make a buck. That being said there were a few wrinkles this year that could use some ironing out. Mainly, however, it was just music, music, music, and let's be honest, that's what I'm there for. No complaints there. Add the fact that The Gorge is an abso-fucking-lutely amazing venue and you can bet I'll be back.

Day 1 - In recent years Sasquatch has been a three day festival but this year they added a fourth day on the front end of the weekend. There were only nine artists playing this first day compared to about thirty on every other day. I'm just going to say it "it was a waste." Death From Above was disappointing at best (and I really enjoy there albums). Foo Fighters headlined and they put on a good show but they are not my thing. The extra day just didn't stack up and many people didn't even bother to show up till day 2.

Day 2 - Started off with a very long line of people trying to get into the rather expensive festival. There was little to no organization and it was hot with no shade. I watched at least three people pass out in line (I'm sure this was not just from the heat) and still there was little to no progress. When we finally got to the front of the line security was ridiculous. I respect that they want a safe environment inside but they accused one hipster of trying to bring in a bludgeoning weapon that was obviously just a ten speed bike tool. After ensuring that we were "safe" (aka had no drugs or alcohol on our person) we got inside and were able to purchase $12 beers. On top of that the $6.50 Vitamin waters were available but Beverage Enforcement would frequently come by and insist on smelling them. Seriously? Okay, got that off my chest. On to the music.

Local Natives played a fantastic set on the Main Stage this year. Sharon Van Etten deserved a much bigger crowd as she was great.
Sharon Van Etten (Big Foot Stage)
 She had to compete with J Mascis (who I felt suffered from bad sound) and Wolf Parades second to last performance ever. It was super. Next up on the Main Stage Pink Martini? Organizers did neither the band nor the crowd any favours with this choice. So I headed over to see Wye Oak. Holy shit she rocked it. Then it was over to The Antlers and I thought it might not get any better. So good.
The Antlers (Big Foot Stage)
I managed to catch a bit of Iron and Wine before Matt & Kim stole the day in there usual style. Shit-eating grins and high energy. Then it was time for Bright Eyes who maybe even topped Matt & Kim with a perfect set. I found the much anticipated Robyn a bit disappointing but most would probably disagree. Finally Sleigh Bells rocked the dance tent hard.
Sleigh Bells (Banana Shack)

What a day. Still two to go too.

Day 3 - The line problem was still not fixed but I went in so early I was not effected. Smithh Westerns were why I went in so early and I was not disappointed. 
Smith Westerns (Main Stage)
Then The Drums were up and played a couple of new songs off their upcoming album that sounded very promising. Fitz & The Tantrums got the crowd really going then Tokyo Police Club rocked out. Now the day 3 highlights really start Beach House was unbelievably good. Cold War Kids played a perfect set, as usual. Das Racist was really late and I wasn't about to miss Gayngs. 
Gayngs (Big Foot Stage)

Gayngs even made a wardrobe change

Though we were all hoping to see Justin Vernon on stage they didn't need him. A definite highlight was the Sade and Billy Joel covers. Now over to Yeasayer who were one of the best of the weekend though a bit of a short set.

 Modest Mouse was up next and played a nice long set including some new stuff and staying clear of any songs that may be considered selling out. Ratatat played us out.

Day 4 - Line ups and security finally figured things out and surprise no one got bludgeoned this day either. Old 97's were good. Black Mountain really rocked out with some old school jams. Stronoway had great stage presence but I can't listen to the music. Sharon Jones was the hardest working band there (Modest Mouse were probably second) Jones danced incredibly hard for the entire hour. Foster the People were on the small stage so there was barely room for everyone who wanted to see them. The huge crowd was not disappointed. Surfer Blood got into the crowd and played a few new songs too. Rodrigo Y Gabriela were high energy but not a Main Stage act. The Decemberists on the other hand were totally worthy of headlining (technically it was Wilco but...). 
Decemberists (Main Stage)

Deerhunter had to compete with some bad weather but they are so good I didn't really notice.
Deerhunter (Big Foot Stage)

 Finally Major Lazer was wild. An excellent end to the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment