Friday, August 5, 2011

Hypocrite In A Hippy Crypt - Talk To The Beard

We recently posted "The Town Crazies" by the mysterious Hypocrite In A Hippy Crypt and you asked for more so this week we decided to track him down and ask some questions, one enigma to another. The Beard caught up with him in Bloomington, Indiana to shed some light on what's behind the curtain.

TE - What's the story behind the name Hypocrite In A Hippy Crypt?


HIAHC - "Hypocrite in a hippy crypt" came from Kurt Cobain's diary. The concept  invokes very comical imagery in my mind. I also knew that people would either hate it, or love it. People mostly hate it, but I expected it really. It's funny for me.

TE - Desert Island: 3 albums only, go! 

HIAHC - Hmmmmmm
Nick drake-Pink Moon
Weezer- The Blue album
Beach Boys- Smiley Smile

TE - How did you meet your recorder/mixer Zach Anselm? How has he helped your career? And are you still working together?

HIAHC - Zack and me go way back, I think I met him early in high school when I joined a band he was in. He has offered me free recording through his label Tree Machine Records, so he has helped me unfathomably. I recorded the album on his suggestion, kind of. I was helping him record some songs for a music school application he was making, he suggested doing an album after finishing a few of the songs, and that's how it started. I have a good number of songs I plan on recording with him in a few weeks for a possible EP or album. I really like the sound of them. I feel the next album will have a very complete feel to it.

TE - What's your favourite piece of gear?

HIAHC - My amp might have to be my favorite piece of gear. Its a Vox Tube amp, the sound is incredible, tube amps are the only way to get sounds that are not blood wrenching to the ears. Its like a polygamist marriage of me and two of the finest Mexican princesses in my ears. I have used some other amps and nothing can beat the sound of a tube amp, especially with a bit of reverb on it. You can really get a 60s guitar vibe with one, especially when I combine it with my telecaster.

TE - You said your parents are "the least artful people in the world" how do they feel about your success as a musician? 

HIAHC - Haha.........they  don't know about any of it. My dad heard a song i did on the internet once some how and kinda laughed at me about it. I see no need to tell them, and i don't think i really ever will. I don't think they know I write songs really. They would not understand it I guess.

TE - You are at University now, how do you find balancing both music and school?

HIAHC - Balancing both music and school is tough. Most of my writing takes place at 2 in the morning, whispering into a microphone in fear of waking those around me . Recording takes place over the weekend in 4 or 5 hour sessions to get it all in. I am  always reminded that I am a student though. I do school for 5 or 6 hours.... then maybe play guitar for one hour. My guitar skills have gone down, its kinda sad, but i still manage to get in an hour a day. I feel my song writing has improved though, don't know if that came with college or with time.

TE - Would you rather? Have marshmallows for teeth or a tongue of stone?

HIAHC - Marshmallows for teeth would be cool. I guess girls would like it, but so would small children around halloween, so that would weird me out. Tongue of stone.. would get me no where so, marshmallow teeth win.

TE - Thank you for taking the time to talk to us. We're really digging the latest album and best of luck with recording the next one. Please keep us posted on how it's all going.

I'll leave you readers with one more track from HIAHC's latest Tweaker In The Park titled "Funeral Playlist" enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I would have to say marshmallows for teeth as well, but eating BBQ ribs and corn on the cob in the summer would be out... but probably so would getting invited to BBQ's.

    ReplyDelete